Bible Proficiency Project
Week 8, 2/24- 2/29, 2020
I. Monday —Luke 11:14-36, 8:19-21 Beelzebub (cont.)
1. What are the two houses that Jesus is eluding to in this episode?
2. Who is the stronger who overcomes the one guarding whose house?
3. Based on Jesus’ words in Luke 11:27-28 and 8:19-21 what do we learn about Mary?
4. Is it possible that Jesus speaking of a divided house is inferring something about His own home?
(Consider Mark 3:21, 31-35 – who said He is out of His mind).
II. Tuesday — Matthew 13:10-17, Mark 4:10-12, Luke 8:9-10 Purpose of Parables
1. What is a parable?
2. Why did Jesus use parables in His teaching?
3. In what way does this show the sovereignty of God in salvation?
III. Wednesday — Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23, Mark 4:1-9, 13-20, Luke 8:1-8, 11-18 The Sower
1. Identify the four types of soil in terms of how people receive the Word and what happens.
a. The wayside:
b. The Stony places:
c. Among thorns:
d. Good ground:
2. What is the surprising element about the disciples learning this parable and what challenge does that
present to us today?
3. What does this teach us about the gospel ministry in the local church? What type of soil/people do we find
in the church?
IV. Thursday – Matthew 13:24-43, Mark 4:21-34, Luke 13:44-52 The Kingdom
1. What do the two types of seed represent and could there be other types of seed?
2. What does the field represent and who is the enemy to the owner of the field?
3. Is there a subtle message as to the type of seeds sown and how they appear as they grow? (Hint: the tares
are zizanon or darnel seed).
4. What does Jesus teach is to be done with the tares and how does that apply to us today in the church?
5. What is pictured for us in the parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven?
V. Friday — Matthew 13:44-52 Kingdom Treasure
1. What is Jesus’ main point in the parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl of Great Price and what is
the application for each one of us today?
2. What is a dragnet?
3. What does the time of sorting represent in Jesus’ story and what does that mean for us now?
4. How are we to understand who the scribe is and what are the things new and old in verse 52?
VI. Saturday —Matthew 8:23-34, Mark 4:35-5:20, Luke 8:22-39 East Shore
1. How did the disciples demonstrate “little” faith in the face of the storm and in Jesus’ calming it?
2. Describe the country of the Gaderenes/Gergesenes.
3. What does the encounter with the unclean spirits/demons teach us about their presence?
4. What does the name of the unclean spirit mean?
5. Why do the Gaderenes plead with Jesus to leave their region after He healed the men of the unclean