Bible Proficiency Project
Week 7, 2/17- 2/22, 2020
I. Monday — Matthew 7:1-6, Luke 6:37-45 On Judging Others
1. In Matthew 7 is Jesus speaking of “all” judging of others? If not what kind of judgment is in view here?
2. In Luke 6:37 what principle is Jesus pointing out in terms of reciprocity?
3. In Matthew 7:6 what do the “what is holy” and “your pearls” refer to in this teaching? John Calvin and many
of the Church Fathers have said they refer to the gospel. Are they right?
4. Based on Luke 6:43-45 what is the proper basis for judging others?
II. Tuesday — Matthew 7:7-28, Luke 6:46-49, Luke 11:5-13 On Seeking God
1. What must be assumed about those who do the asking in this passage in Matthew 7:9?
2. Why do you think the road to heaven is narrow? What is required that so many are unwilling to take this
3. Does Jesus contradict Himself about judging others in Matthew 7:1 with 7:20 & Luke 6:43-45?
4. Describe the activities of those to whom Jesus says “I never knew you”.
5. What are the sand and the rock in this lesson?
6. What is the primary message in Jesus’ lesson on asking, seeking and knocking?
III. Wednesday — Matthew 8:5-13, Luke 7:1-17, John 4:46-54 On Great Faith
1. What made the centurion’s faith qualitatively better than that of the Jews?
2. Why is there so much information about the mother of the dead son?
3. What does this “resurrection” account mean for the son and the mother?
IV. Thursday – Matthew 11:2-19, Luke 7:18-35 On John’s Ministry
1. In the second sign of Jesus in yesterday’s lesson, what was this laying the groundwork for?
2. Why was John questioning if Jesus was the Messiah?
3. What point is Jesus making when He says that John is Elijah who is come?
4. What did the Pharisees and lawyers reject when they did not believe John?
5. What is Jesus’ point in Matthew 11:17 and Luke 7:32?
V. Friday —Luke 7:36-50 The Anointing
1. Why did the woman anoint Jesus’ feet with the fragrant oil and her tears?
2. What did the Pharisee conclude from this and why?
3. What did Jesus do that demonstrated He was more than a simple prophet of God?
4. Are there different levels of sin and greater gratitude in salvation?
VI. Saturday —Matthew 12:22-50, Mark 3:20-35 Beelzebub
1. Who is Beelzebub?
2. On what basis did the Pharisees argue that Jesus served Beelzebub?
3. Identify and explain what the unforgivable sin is.
4. What is the sign Jesus gives to an adulterous generation? Does that apply today?
5. What is important to recognize in Jesus’ comment about His Mother and brothers?