Bible Proficiency Project
Week 1, 1/13 - 1/18, 2019
I. Monday — Luke 2:41-52 “Temple Visit at Passover”
1. What do we learn about Jesus’ family life growing up from their annual visit to the Feast of Passover?
2. What would be significant about the fact that Jesus was 12 years old at this time?
3. How could it be possible that Jesus’ parents didn’t know He was not with the caravan home?
4. What are we to understand regarding Jesus’ interactions in the Temple?
5. Were Jesus’ parents right to express how worried they were for Him?
6. How do you think Jesus’ parents would have received His response in v. 49?
7. In light of v. 49, what does Jesus being subject to them reveal about Jesus' behavior as a child?
II. Tuesday — John 1:1-18 “Prologue”
1. What is the function of a prologue?
2. Why does John identify Jesus as “the Word” in this prologue?
3. List the things that make it evident that this “Word” is God?
4. Who was this John and what was his role according to verses 6-8?
5. What is important to understand in the use of Light here?
6. Who were “His own” in verse 11?
7. According to verses 12-13, why do some people believe in His name?
8. In what way do grace and truth come through Jesus Christ?
III. Wednesday — Matthew 3:1-12, Mark 1:1-8 “John the Baptist”
1. Describe where the wilderness of Judea is and what it was like?
2. What was the theme of John’s message?
3. What does the word “repentance” and “remission” mean?
4. Why did John dress and live the way he did?
5. Describe what was the basis for John’s baptism?
6. Why do you think John addressed the Pharisees and Sadducees in the way he did in verse 7?
7. How does John differentiate his ministry from that of Jesus?
IV. Thursday – Luke 3:1-18, John 1:19-28
1. What year is the 15th year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar?
2. What is the difference in the office between Pilate as governor and Herod as tetrarch?
3. What is the role of the high priests during this period?
4. Why would John’s disclaimer about being the descendants of Abraham be offensive to the hearers?
5. Summarize what instruction John gave to those being baptized in verses 10-14.
6. What duty does the prophet have toward the political leaders in his day?
7. Begin to make up a map and mark where Bethabara was located?
V. Friday —Matthew 3:13-17, Mark 1:9-11 “Jesus Baptism”
1. What is John’s reasoning for why he should not baptize Jesus?
2. In what way is Jesus’ baptism different from John’s other baptisms?
3. Why do you think Jesus being baptized was necessary to fulfill all righteousness?
4. What is being described in that after Jesus is baptized it says He came up immediately from the water?
5. What is being described regarding the Holy Spirit in the phrase descending upon Him like a dove?
6. Why is it important that there are the testimony and presence of the Trinity in this baptism?
VI. Saturday —Luke 3:21-22, John 1:29-34
1. Why does John identify Jesus as the Lamb of God?
2. What does the word Behold mean or express?
3. On what basis does John say he has seen and testified that this is the Son of God?
4. In Luke 3:22 it says and the Holy Spirit descended in bodily form like a dove upon Him. How are we to
understand the bodily form of the Holy Spirit and why is the metaphor of a dove employed?