Bible Proficiency Project
Week 42, 2019
I. Monday – Matthew 8:14-34, Mark 4-5
1. What things does Jesus show He has power over in Matthew 8?
2. Why did Jesus question the disciples’ faith amidst the wild seas? Isn’t it natural to be afraid in such
situations? In what way do the disciples show faith in this situation?
3. In the story of casting out the “legion” demons into the swine look up where Gergesenes / Gaderenes
and Decapolis are and then what is important to know about these places to help understand who is
the audience in this story.
4. What picture is presented for us by Jesus touch in Mt 8:15 and Mark 5:28?
II. Tuesday – Matthew 9-10
1. When speaking to the Pharisees why does Jesus say those who are well have no need of a physician
2. What reason does Jesus give for why His disciples do not fast often like the disciples of John the
Baptist and the Pharisees? Should Christians fast today?
3. Why was Jesus moved to compassion in 10:36 and what did He say was needed and why?
4. In chapter 10 there is much to think about. What does Jesus mean to be wise as serpents but gentle
5. What lesson does Jesus teach about fear in 10:28, 38-39?
III. Wednesday – Matthew 14, Mark 6, Luke 9:1-17
1. In what way is Jesus’ divine nature seen in Mt. 14, Mk. 6?
IV. Thursday – John 6
1. What OT type is fulfilled by Jesus feeding the multitudes and what is the true bread here?
2. Does Jesus mean to literally eat His flesh in v. 53 when He says unless you eat the flesh of the Son of
Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you?
V. Friday – Matthew 15, Mark 7
1. According to Matthew and Mark, what defiles someone?
2. Why does Jesus go to Tyre and Sidon but say I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of
VI. Saturday – Matthew 16, Mark 8, Luke 9:18-27
1. Explain the sign of Jonah and why is this the only sign left to the Jews at this point (cf. Mt. 16:21, Mk.
2. What is Jesus' purpose in asking the disciples who people say that He is?
3. How are we to understand Jesus' statement that upon this rock I will build My church?
4. How did Peter figure out that Jesus was the Son of God?
5. What does it mean to take up your cross?
VII. Sunday – Matthew 17, Mark 9, Luke 9:28-62
1. Who were those present with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration?
2. How does Jesus explain in Mark 9 and Luke 9 those who will be greatest in the Kingdom of heaven
and how does this shape our perspective as Christians today?