Bible Proficiency Project
Week 40, 2019
I. Monday – Luke 1, John 1:1-14
1. Should the Gospels be considered part of the OT or NT?
2. Was John the Baptist an OT or NT prophet?
3. In what way are Zacharias and Elizabeth tied to Abraham and Sarah?
4. What does it mean to go forth in the spirit and power of Elijah (Lk 1:17)?
5. What is significant about the holy conception and what does this chapter teach us about when life
6. In John 1:1 what is the background of Jesus being entitled the “Word”?
7. How are the images of life and light significant in this opening passage?
II. Tuesday – Matthew 1, Luke 2:1-38
1. Which Gospels record the birth of Jesus and why do you think it is not in all four?
2. Why do you think Matthew gives the genealogy of Joseph for Jesus’ lineage?
3. How does God’s providence become evident in Luke 2:1-7?
4. When might Joseph and Mary have arrived in Bethlehem and why?
5. What does it mean that “there was no room in the Inn” and what can we really learn from Jesus being
laid in a manger?
III. Wednesday – Matthew 2, Luke 2:39-52
1. How did the Wise Men know of Jesus’ birth and when did they arrive in relation to His birth?
2. What was behind Herod’s actions with the Wise Men?
3. Luke skips the flight to Egypt and begins with Jesus as a child in Nazareth? What do you make of
Jesus’ amazing the teachers?
IV. Thursday – Matthew 3, Mark 1, Luke 3
1. What is John the Baptist role and when does his ministry fulfilled?
2. What is being emphasized in the phrase “descended like a dove” in Jesus’ baptism?
3. How was Jesus’ baptism different from ours or even from the baptisms John had been doing?
V. Friday –Matthew 4, Luke 4-5, John 1:15-51
1. What is significant about the way Jesus answers Satan’s temptations?
2. How should Jesus’ statement that we live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God shape
our conscious thought in daily life?
3. Luke records that Jesus reads from Isaiah 49 and says; today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.
What is this describing and how is the role of the minister of the Word defined here?
4. In the Gospel of John how does John the Baptist become an example of how the Christian should
view their life in relation to Jesus?
5. What is the startling thing about Jesus’ calling of the disciples?
VI. Saturday – John 2-4
1. What is intriguing and what is significant about Jesus’ first miracle?
2. How is the concept of the new birth introduced by John?
3. How is John 4 useful for us to consider in our call to evangelize?
VII. Sunday – Mark 2
1. What was Jesus’ purpose in healing the paralytic?
2. What lesson is Jesus teaching when He chooses Matthew to be a disciple?
3. How are Jesus’ actions on the Sabbath to shape our view of the use of the Lord’s Day?