Bible Proficiency Project
Week 1, 1/6 - 1/11, 2019
I. Monday — Luke 1:1-38 “Preparations for the Birth of Jesus”
1. (Begin creating a timeline for the history of the Bible events)
2. Research who Luke was and how did he come to write the Gospel of Luke.
3. Matthew, Mark, and Luke are known as Synoptic Gospels. What does that mean?
4. Why is the Gospel of John not considered to be a Synoptic Gospel?
5. What was special about Zacharias burning incense in the Temple?
6. How did God answer Zacharias' prayer and is there a reason it was done while he was in the Temple?
7. What is the significance of v. 17 mentioning the spirit and power of Elijah”?
8. What do we learn about life at conception from this story?
9. Why was Zacharias rendered mute and what should we learn from this?
10. What do we learn from Gabriel’s second visitation in vv. 26-33?
11. What was different between Mary’s and Zacharias’ questioning Gabriel’s statements?
II. Tuesday — Luke 1:39-80 “The Children of Prophecy”
1. What unusual thing happened when Mary visited Elizabeth?
2. What are the vv. 46-55?
3. Why were the people questioning calling Elizabeth’s child “John” and how was the name confirmed?
4. In Zacharias’ prophecy what OT references are implied and what will John’s unique role be?
III. Wednesday — Matthew 1:18-25, Luke 2:1-20 “The Virgin Birth”
1. What was it to be betrothed in Mary’s day?
2. What is important to know about Joseph considering putting Mary away secretly?
3. Why was it important that Joseph be a son of David since he was not the biological father?
4. How does the census of Quirinius reveal God’s sovereign control over everything?
5. Why was it essential that Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit?
6. What does Immanuel mean?
7. What does the description of the birth of Jesus tell us about what kind of birth He had (Lk 2:7)?
8. Why is the child named Jesus?
9. What was the theme of the Angelic message to the Shepherds?
10. How should the response of the Shepherds be typical of all Christians?
IV. Thursday – Luke 2:21-38 “The Blessing upon the Savior”
1. Who was Simeon?
2. What is the Consolation of Israel?
3. What had been promised to Simeon?
4. Why were Jesus’ parents amazed at Simeon’s blessing?
5. Who was Anna and what was her role as a prophetess?
6. What do we learn from the phrase in v. 38 about people looking for redemption in Jerusalem?
V. Friday —Matthew 2:1-21 “The Flight to Egypt”
1. Why did the Wise Men from the East come to Herod?
2. How did Herod respond to their question and what steps did he take to answer them?
3. How old might Jesus have been when the Wise Men arrived?
4. How and where did the Wise Men find Jesus?
5. Why did they not return to Herod?
6. Why did Joseph and Mary flee to Egypt?
7. What happened when Herod realized the Wise Men were not coming back?
8. When does Joseph bring his family back to the land of Israel?
VI. Saturday — Matthew 2:22-23, Luke 2:39-40
1. Who was Archelaus and what can you discover about him?
2. Is there anything significant about Joseph not returning to Judea?
3. What do we learn about Jesus’ time in Nazareth?